If I had to choose a place I am most relaxed and happy, it would be when I am involved in camping activities! Yes camping is my happy place! I am talking about ‘real camping’ in the bush where you are surrounded by the sights and sounds of nature. I find it so therapeutic to wake to the sounds of birds, have a view of the water and spot kangaroos, emus and other animals. Places where there are no cafes, tourist attractions or gift shops to distract you from relaxing.
Many mums think I am crazy and don’t find camping with children relaxing at all but I love it! Here is why I feel like camping makes me a better mum
- Camping is one of the only times we get uninterrupted family time. The kids thrive on our undivided attention and we get the pleasure of theirs! We all live for the moment when we are camping.
- Camping activities to me is pure relaxation! Sure it is not quite a resort, there are no cocktails, pools or butlers but we can’t afford a holiday like that too often! We can go camping 3 or 4 times a year and have a few days with no phones, computers or televisions and to me that is bliss! We all know that a rested and relaxed mum 9and Dad) is the key to a happy household!
- It brings me back to a simpler life, where you are up at dawn, your day revolves around your next meal and you sit mesmerised by the fire at night.
- I absolutely love watching my children use their imagination and be ‘real kids’! I used to take toys for the kids when we went camping, now we just take bikes, a truck to drive in the dirt and a few books and finger puppets for the car. On our Easter camping trip my daughter and her younger cousin made a sandpit out of a patch of dirt that kept them occupied for a few hours and a dirt path with a few bumps on it soon became a BMX track for my son. We swam in the river, fished, went on night walks, searched for creatures on logs and the kids amused themselves for hours on end.
Of course camping does have its challenges and also some funny stories, here are a few that we came across on our last camping trip
- A near divorce as we got lost in the national park, couldn’t find where the campsites were and it was starting to get dark. You know the old map reading marriage disaster, that was us!!
- Having to get up in the middle of a cold night to take one of the kids to the toilet, on the plus side, I wasn’t having to breastfeed as I have done before!
- The sounds of native birds in the morning is one thing but the sound of a rooster coming from a faraway farm at 4am is not my idea of tranquil camping!
- Keeping the kids away from the easily accessible food box!
- Just as I laid down by the river for a little peaceful sun baking, Angelic Miss 4 tells me to get off my lazy a*** to get her a snack!! You know those times when you should be telling your child it’s not ok to talk like that but you end up laughing at the shock of what was just said, this was one of those times!
- Mr 6 putting a dry leafy branch into the fire and it going up in flames so quickly it shocked us all! Luckily he made the right decision and threw it straight into the fire!
Do you love or loathe camping? What is your idea of a great family getaway? I would love to hear from you in the comments!
Mamas just imagine if you could…
- Sparkle with health!
- Wake up in the morning feeling ready and rearing to go!
- Cope with the daily demands of being a mum with ease and confidence!
- Learn strategies to prioritise your own wellbeing AND be a great mum!