I have been using a JuJu menstrual cup for a couple of years now and love it! I am suprised at how many women are not aware there is an alternative to tampons and pads so I asked Katryna from JuJu to let you all in on this little secret that is the Juju menstrual cup! Take it away Katryna
Have you ever wondered if there was an alternative to using tampons and pads? JuJu is a reusable menstrual cup made from medical-grade silicone. It is environmentally friendly, saves you money and is a healthier alternative made right here in Australia.
Consider this… if during your period, you use five disposable products a day for five days, this equates to 300 disposable pads or tampons a year and over 10,000 in your lifetime alone. These waste products go into our landfills and pollute our waterways. Now imagine a world with no disposable tampons or pads… it may sound like a small contribution, but by using a JuJu, you make a difference to the world we live in today and the world our children inherit tomorrow.
Menstrual cups are a gentle, reliable way to keep your body clean and comfortable. Used as a barrier, like a tampon, JuJu sits inside your vagina, but unlike a tampon, there are no external parts, no disruption to your body’s natural lubrication and no fibers left in or near the body that are breeding grounds for bacteria. JuJu is hypoallergenic, latex-free, odorless and free from harmful chemicals such as bleaches and absorption agents used in disposable tampons and pads. Made of soft, 100% medical-grade silicone, JuJu is reusable for many years.
Another great benefit of JuJu is that it can be worn at any point in your cycle, during heavy and light flows, and overnight. JuJu will not lead to vaginal dryness, so you can even insert it before your period begins, so there is no chance of being caught off-guard. JuJu is available in two sizes depending on age, childbearing history, and pelvic floor-tone and can be worn by women of all ages.
JuJu is Australia’s first menstrual cup. Entirely made in Australia and owned by two mums. Brenda and I established our company, Freedom Products, in 2009. We are a privately owned and operated eco-friendly company. Our goal is to minimize environmental waste and help women by giving them healthier choices. We want to raise awareness of a better alternative to disposable tampons and pads. We have designed and manufactured JuJu to be a liberating, innovative product that reduces environmental waste, costs you less and gives you more freedom than disposable feminine hygiene products currently on the market. We took great care and consideration into every element when creating JuJu so that you get the very best product for your body and planet.
Benefits of JuJu
- JuJu can be worn for twice as long as you would normally wear a pad or tampon and can be worn for up to 12 hours.
- JuJu can be worn before you start your period so you won’t be caught off-guard.
- JuJu is easy to clean and disinfect.
- JuJu has no strings, no wings and no leaks thus making it perfect for women with an active lifestyle who enjoy sports such as running, swimming and yoga.
- JuJu is safe – it does not contain any harmful substances such as chlorine (used for bleaching some tampons and pads) or fragrances. Further, there has been no association of toxic shock syndrome (TSS) with menstrual cups.
- JuJu is hypoallergenic – suitable for women with sensitive skin, dermatitis or allergies.
- JuJu does not contain any absorption agents and hence will not cause vaginal dryness.
- JuJu can be worn by women with a retroverted uterus and heavy menstrual flow.
- Some women claim that they do not experience period pain when using JuJu compared to tampons and pads. Still others claim that they have shorter, light periods once they switch to JuJu.
Cost and Convenience Benefit
- With proper care a JuJu can last up to 10 years, saving women on average $90 per year.
- No more running out of or having to stock up on tampons and pads.
- JuJu is great for women who travel as it is easy to pack and you don’t have to worry about availability or where you will dispose of the waste.
A woman uses approximately 300 disposable tampons or pads per year and over 10,000 in her lifetime. Copious amounts of water, soil and pesticides are used in the production and processing of these raw materials required to make a single-use product. Plastics, used in the backing of pads and tampon applicators, also require a large volume of energy to produce a throwaway product that takes years to breakdown. These products and their packaging all result in a detrimental impact on our health, resources and ecosystem by greatly contributing to landfill waste and polluting our waterways.
In contrast, the manufacture of silicone products, such as a JuJu menstrual cup, uses low-impact mining of mineral sands. A study commissioned by the Global Silicones Council examined the sustainability of silicone-based products and the findings indicated using silicone products generated less greenhouse-gas emissions by enabling energy saving technologies and a more efficient use of energy and materials. JuJu provides Australian women with a greener, healthier, more cost effective and more convenient alternative to disposable feminine hygiene products.
Why choose JuJu
The key points of difference between JuJu and other cups on the market are;
- Quality: JuJu is manufactured from a high quality medical-grade silicone. JuJu is hypoallergenic and free from additives such as dyes used for colouring. Many other cups on the market are made from TPE, latex or non-medical grade silicone. The silicone we use carries independent certificates of compliance for biocompatibility and toxicity and we manufacture in a ‘clean-room’ environment to strict International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards so you can be sure you will be buying a quality product.
- Regulatory requirements: JuJu is registered with the Therapeutic Goods Administration of Australia (TGA), ensuring our cup meet quality standards set out by the Australian government.
- Australian made and owned: JuJu is the only Australian made menstrual cup. We have chosen to manufacture JuJu in Australia as opposed to cheaper off shore alternatives to ensure a high level of quality and to support Australian jobs.
- Environmentally friendly: JuJu cares about the environment. Our packaging is made from recycled, carbon neutral paper and we use low-impact silicone moulding methods.
- Ergonomic design: JuJu was designed in consultation with leading ergonomists and gynecologists to ensure it is comfortable and easy to clean.
- Award winning product: In October 2013 JuJu won Green Lifestyle Magazines Wellbeing Product of the Year.
JuJu is available for sale online with a RRP of $62. While this may seem expensive, it is a one-off investment that will last you for many years. On average, Australian women spend more than $90 on disposable products each year, that’s more than $3,300 in a lifetime.
Juju is kindly offering Energetic Mama readers a $12 discount on Menstrual Cups, simply enter the code ’emama14′ at the checkout here!!! Offer valid until 15th November 2014
Many women haven’t heard of menstrual cups before and it takes a little getting used to the idea. Our website is an excellent resource to answer your questions and help you get better acquainted with the benefits and use of menstrual cups. If you have any questions about JuJu or would like to purchase a cup, please visit our website at www.juju.com.au. You are also welcome to email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you use a menstrual cup? Are you temped to try one? Let us know in the comments